Here are the finished photos of the Millicent knee socks, as promised. Lacking a photographer, I took modeled posed myself (much less contortionist-inspired, but outdoors nonetheless.)
I do like this pattern and the socks very much; however there are two problems, both of which I consider “user error,” rather than an issue with the pattern.
1. My purl stitches tend to be loose, and I didn’t take this fact fully into account. After washing, my ribbing stretched, and now the socks fall down. They don’t fall immediately, and really only do so when I hop or run up and down stairs. (Yes, I really did put these things through the test!) This is probably also simply the result of having nearly 4 ounces of yarn in one sock, with the majority of it at the top (perhaps if I stop shaving my legs for the velcro effect…) If I were to do them over, I would probably knit the ribbing on 2.0mm (US0), but only because of my own tension. For now, I may stitch down the 1X1 rib at the bottom of the cuff, and insert some elastic string through the folded-over top.
2. I bought the yarn undyed and “in bulk” for financial purposes. While I like the color of undyed yarn, in these knee-socks it lends a certain “Alice in Wonderland” look, which is not assuaged by my primary choice of footwear (Maryjane Dansko clogs.) So I will likely dye the completed socks using acid dyes; not sure what color yet.
On the up-side, I really enjoyed the pattern and knitting the socks, and they are very warm and cozy, while still looking rather sophistocated. I shall be starting my next Cookie knee socks soon!
Edited to add: My very intelligent husband just came home and, upon viewing the falling-down-ness of the Millicents, suggested a “drawstring tassel thingie” to hold them up, in the style of some Germanic stockings I think I’ve seen. (Apologies if I have the geographic reference wrong.) That would save me a lot of trouble stitching down the cuff, and make the fit adjustable – the man is brilliant, I tell you!